Papers & Publications
First-Generation College Students
- Demetriou, C., Meece, J., Eaker-Rich, D. & Powell, C. (2017). The activities, roles, and relationships of successful first-generation college students. The Journal of College Student Development, 58(1), 19-36.
- Ellis, J. M., Powell, C. S., Demetriou, C. D., Huerta-Bapat, C., & Panter, A.T. (In Press). The lived experiences of first-generation college students’ microaggressions and microaffirmations at a predominately white research university. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology.
- Midkiff, B., Langer, M., Demetriou, C., & Panter, A. T. (2017). Measuring grit among first generation college students: A psychometric analysis. In L. A. van der Ark, M. Wiberg, S. A. Culpepper, J. A. Douglas, & W. C. Wang (Eds.), Quantitative Psychology – The 81st Annual Meeting of the Psychometric Society, Asheville, North Carolina, 2016. New York: Springer Verlag.
- Demetriou, C. (2005). Potential applications of social norms theory to academic advising. NACADA Journal, 25 (2), 49-56.
- Powell, C., Demetriou, C., & Fisher, A. (2013, October). Micro-affirmations in academic advising: Small acts, big impact. The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal.
- Demetriou, C. (2007). Beyond the degree checklist. About Campus, 12(4), 27-29.
- Kyte, S. (2019). Changing Major, Staying on Track: Bringing Data-Driven Insights into Tried-and-True Graduation Pathways to Advising. Academic Advising Today, February 28, 2019.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah, and Catherine Riegle-Crumb. 2017. “Perceptions of the Social Relevance of Science: Exploring the Implications for Gendered Patterns in Expectations of Majoring in STEM Fields.” Social Sciences 6: 19.
- Blanchard, Sarah, and Chandra Muller. 2015. “Gatekeepers of the American Dream: How Teachers’ Perceptions Shape the Academic Outcomes of Immigrant and Language-Minority Students.” Social Science Research 51: 262-275.
- Blanchard, Sarah, Justina Judy, Chandra Muller, Richard H. Crawford, Anthony Petrosino, Christina K. White, Fu-An Lin, and Kristin L. Wood. 2015. “Beyond Blackboards: Engaging Underserved Middle School Students in Engineering.” Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research 5: 1-14.
- Demetriou, C. & Powell, C. (2014). Positive youth development and undergraduate student retention. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory and Practice, 16(4), 419-444.
- Demetriou, C. (2011). The attribution theory of learning and advising students on academic probation. NACADA Journal, 31(2), 16-21.
- Demetriou, C. & Schmitz-Sciborski, A. (2009). An innovative intervention for students failing to meet academic standards: The Bounce Back Retention Program case study. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, 11(3), 28-31.
- Demetriou, C., Miller, G., Mason, L. & Salvesen, C. (2019).A Model Program for the Success of College Students with Attention and Learning Disorders. Education Sciences & Society. 10:1.
- Greene, J. A., Urban, C. J., Plumley,R. D., Bernacki, M. L., Gates, K. M., Hogan, K. A., Demetriou, C., & Panter, A. T. (Submitted for Publication). Modeling temporal and contingent self-regulatory processing in a higher education biology course. Learning and Instruction.
- Ludwig, J. & Salvesen, C. (2018) ( Stop, Collaborate, and Listen: Building an Institution-Wide Approach to Student Retention. National Symposium on Student Retention Nov. 2018.
- Prushan, Lauren. “Normalizing Academic Support Services through Marketing.” College Reading and Learning Association Conference, Albuquerque, NM. October 2018
- Laura Everett, Robert Johnson. “CatQ: Introducing an Electronic Queuing System for Drop-in Tutoring.” College Reading and Learning Association Conference, Roundtable Presentation, Albuquerque, NM. With Robert Johnson. October 2018.
- Laura Everett. “Supervising Near-Peer Supervisors: Navigating Bumps in the Road.” College Reading and Learning Association Conference, Lunch with a Mentor Presentation, Albuquerque, NM. October 2018.
- Celia Simpson. ”Promoting Community Across Disciplines.” International Conference on Supplemental Instruction. Seattle, WA. May 26, 2018.
- Arturo Rodriguez. “Using Space to Develop Student Educator Buy-In.” International Conference on Supplemental Instruction. Seattle WA. May 25, 2018
- Karen Gonzalez. “In a School of fish, how does one fish stand out? Managing Large Teams.” International Conference on Supplemental Instruction. Seattle WA. May 25, 2018
- Laura Everett, Cecelia Byers, Sophie Alves. “Modifying a Tutor Supervision Model to Improve Tutor and Student Success.” Association for the Tutoring Profession Annual Conference, Oro Valley, AZ. March 19, 2018.
- En Route to Global Student Success: Mastering Cultural Agility.” College Reading and Learning Association Conference, Albuquerque, NM. With Tina Kondopoulos, Michael Keleher.
- Laura Everett & Robert Johnson. CatQ: Introducing an Electronic Queuing System for Drop-in Tutoring. College Reading and Learning Association – 2018 Annual Conference.
- Laura Everett. Supervising Near-Peer Supervisors: Navigating Bumps in the Road. College Reading and Learning Association – 2018 Annual Conference.
- Sujin Son, Jarlene Ramirez & Liz C Kamamer. Self Reflection: Evaluating Our Own Mindset as Educators - SSRI Student Success Conference – 2019.
- Alyssa O'Keefe & Eric Davidson. Defining the Relationship: A Praxis for Rapport Building and Affirmation - SSRI Student Success Conference – 2019.
- Michelle Woodward, Larry Kull, Vincent Colaianni, & Terrace Ewinghill. Math 100 and Schedule for Success: Why & How We Collaborate - SSRI Student Success Conference - 2019 .
- Tana Jay Von Isser, Angel Navarro, Cameron Louie, Erika Deianni & Eric Davidson Exercise as a Learning Strategy . SSRI Student Success Conference – 2019
- Aaron Davis. The Analytics of Team Chemistry and Student-Athlete Support Services. The National Association of Academic and Student-Athlete Development Professionals – Region 5.
- Aaron Davis. The Analytics of Team Chemistry and Student-Athlete Support Services. UA Learning Specialist Collaboration Meeting.
- Aaron Davis. 2019 Region 5 Professional Promise Award . The National Association of Academic and Student-Athlete Development Professionals.
- Stephen Ferris . Using Implicit and Semi-Explicit Methods at the SALT Center. Learning Disabilities Association of America: 56th Annual International Conference, Ft. Worth, TX .
- Max Jackson. Reducing Anxiety: The College Search and Students with Learning Disabilities. Learning Disabilities Association of America: 56th Annual International Conference, Ft. Worth, TX
- Laurel Grigg Mason. Panel Presentation: Post-Secondary Options for Students with LD / ADHD / ASD. Independent Education Consultants Association Fall Conference, Los Angeles, CA .
- Jen Ludwig and Laura Andrews. Annual Report and Assessment Collaboration: Mixing Methods and People.
- 2019 NASPA Conferences on Student Success in Higher Education, June 2019.
- Christine Salvesen & Jen Ludwig. Stop, Collaborate, and Listen: Building an Institution-Wide Approach to Student Retention. CSRDE National Symposium on Student Retention, Oct. 2018.
- Sarah Kyte, Liz Collins, & Regina Deil-Amen. Mindset Messaging: Advisor Communication about Student Challenges and Opportunities for Growth. National Academic Advising Association Annual Meeting, Oct. 2018.
- Laura Andrews, Lucas Schalewski &Teejay Brown. Student Data Strategies for Equity- Minded Actions to Improve Student Success . UA Student Success Conference: Bolstering Student Achievement.
Publications & Research on Student Retention