Sarah Kyte, PhD, is leading a responsive, action-driven, and rigorous research agenda focused on supporting student success. As a sociologist of education, her research considers the role of structural and relational aspects of the student experience, social and emotional processes in education, and equity for underserved groups. Earlier in her career, she partnered with nonprofits in higher education and workforce development to study equity in outcomes for working learners and to understand how guided pathways and local labor markets impact career and technical education outcomes. Dr. Kyte earned her PhD and MA in Sociology at the University of Texas at Austin and a BA in Sociology from Villanova University.
- Riegle-Crumb, Catherine, Sarah Blanchard Kyte, and Karisma Morton. Forthcoming. “Gender and Racial/Ethnic Differences in Educational Outcomes: Examining Patterns, Explanations, and New Directions for Research.” In Schneider, B., Saw, G. (Eds). Handbook of the Sociology of Education in the 21st Century. New York, NY: Springer.
- Riegle-Crumb, Catherine, Karisma Morton, and Sarah Blanchard Kyte. Forthcoming. “Developing STEM Ambitions: An Examination of Inequality by Gender and Race/Ethnicity.” In B. Polnick, B. Irby, and J. Ballenger. (Eds). Girls and Women of Color in STEM: Navigating the Double Bind. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Jassal, Parminder K., Hope Clark, Mary LeFebvre, and Sarah Blanchard Kyte. Forthcoming. “The New Global Learning Economy and the Rise of the Working Learner.” In Global Handbook for Workplace Learning. Wiley.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah, and Catherine Riegle-Crumb. 2017. “Perceptions of the Social Relevance of Science: Exploring the Implications for Gendered Patterns in Expectations of Majoring in STEM Fields.” Social Sciences 6: 19.
- Blanchard, Sarah, and Chandra Muller. 2015. “Gatekeepers of the American Dream: How Teachers’ Perceptions Shape the Academic Outcomes of Immigrant and Language-Minority Students.” Social Science Research 51: 262-275.
- Blanchard, Sarah, Justina Judy, Chandra Muller, Richard H. Crawford, Anthony Petrosino, Christina K. White, Fu-An Lin, and Kristin L. Wood. 2015. “Beyond Blackboards: Engaging Underserved Middle School Students in Engineering.” Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research 5: 1-14.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah. “Balancing the Books: Young Working Learners in a National Perspective.” UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education. Oct, 2017. Los Angeles, CA.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah. “Doubling Up: Analyzing the Educational and Employment Trajectories of High School Longitudinal Study Youth.” American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. Apr, 2016. Washington, DC.
- Blanchard, Sarah, Catherine Riegle-Crumb, and Karisma Morton. “How Perceptions of Science as a Domain shape Expectations to Major in STEM at the Beginning of High School.” Sociology of Education Association Annual Meeting. Feb, 2015. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. “Classroom- and Domain-Based Science Attitudes as Mediators of Underrepresented Middle Schoolers’ Scientific Aspirations.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Aug, 2014. San Francisco, CA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. “Growing Pains: The Role of School Segregation in Middle Schoolers’ Expectations of Discrimination and Advancing in Math.” Sociology of Education Association Annual Meeting. Feb, 2014. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. "Opportunities to Learn Discrimination: Racialized Course Placement and Expectations of Racial Discrimination." Population Association of America Annual Meeting. Apr, 2013. New Orleans, LA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. “Winners and Losers: Teachers’ Perceptions of the Children of Immigrants.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Aug, 2012. Denver, CO.
- Blanchard, Sarah, Anna S. Mueller, and Chandra Muller. “Scholars without Borders: The Graduate School Trajectories of International Students at a Major Research University.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Aug, 2011. Las Vegas, NV.