Sarah Kyte, PhD, is leading a responsive, action-driven, and rigorous research agenda focused on supporting student success. As a sociologist of education, her research takes a holistic view of the practices and policies that support student success with a focus on student pathways, academic advising, and equity for underserved groups. Earlier in her career, she partnered with nonprofits in higher education and workforce development to study equity in outcomes for working learners and the impact of guided pathways and local labor market dynamics on CTE outcomes. Dr. Kyte earned her PhD and MA in Sociology at the University of Texas at Austin and a BA in Sociology from Villanova University.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah, Elizabeth Collins, and Regina Deil-Amen. 2020. “Mindset Messaging: Fostering Student Support and Confidence through Micro-Messaging in Advisor Communication.” NACADA Journal 40: 36-48. - https://doi.org/10.12930/NACADA-19-08
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah. 2019. “Changing Major, Staying on Track: Bringing Data-Driven Insights into Tried-and-True Graduation Pathways to Advising.” Academic Advising Today 42: 1.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah, and Catherine Riegle-Crumb. 2017. “Perceptions of the Social Relevance of Science: Exploring the Implications for Gendered Patterns in Expectations of Majoring in STEM Fields.” Social Sciences 6: 19.
- Blanchard, Sarah, and Chandra Muller. 2015. “Gatekeepers of the American Dream: How Teachers’ Perceptions Shape the Academic Outcomes of Immigrant and Language-Minority Students.” Social Science Research 51: 262-275.
- Blanchard, Sarah, Justina Judy, Chandra Muller, Richard H. Crawford, Anthony Petrosino, Christina K. White, Fu-An Lin, and Kristin L. Wood. 2015. “Beyond Blackboards: Engaging Underserved Middle School Students in Engineering.” Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research 5: 1-14.
- Jassal, Parminder K., Hope Clark, Mary LeFebvre, and Sarah Blanchard Kyte. 2019. “The New Global Learning Economy and the Rise of the Working Learner.” In Global Handbook for Workplace Learning. Wiley.Riegle-Crumb, Catherine, Sarah Blanchard Kyte, and Karisma Morton. 2018. “Gender and Racial/Ethnic Differences in Educational Outcomes: Examining Patterns, Explanations, and New Directions for Research.” In Schneider, B., Saw, G. (Eds). Handbook of the Sociology of Education in the 21st Century. Springer.
- Riegle-Crumb, Catherine, Karisma Morton, and Sarah Blanchard Kyte. 2020. “Developing STEM Ambitions: An Examination of Inequality by Gender and Race/Ethnicity.” In B. Polnick, B. Irby, and J. Ballenger. (Eds). Girls and Women of Color in STEM: Navigating the Double Bind. Information Age Publishing.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah. “Balancing the Books: Young Working Learners in a National Perspective.” UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education. Oct, 2017. Los Angeles, CA.
- Blanchard Kyte, Sarah. “Doubling Up: Analyzing the Educational and Employment Trajectories of High School Longitudinal Study Youth.” American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. Apr, 2016. Washington, DC.
- Blanchard, Sarah, Catherine Riegle-Crumb, and Karisma Morton. “How Perceptions of Science as a Domain shape Expectations to Major in STEM at the Beginning of High School.” Sociology of Education Association Annual Meeting. Feb, 2015. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. “Classroom- and Domain-Based Science Attitudes as Mediators of Underrepresented Middle Schoolers’ Scientific Aspirations.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Aug, 2014. San Francisco, CA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. “Growing Pains: The Role of School Segregation in Middle Schoolers’ Expectations of Discrimination and Advancing in Math.” Sociology of Education Association Annual Meeting. Feb, 2014. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. "Opportunities to Learn Discrimination: Racialized Course Placement and Expectations of Racial Discrimination." Population Association of America Annual Meeting. Apr, 2013. New Orleans, LA.
- Blanchard, Sarah. “Winners and Losers: Teachers’ Perceptions of the Children of Immigrants.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Aug, 2012. Denver, CO.
- Blanchard, Sarah, Anna S. Mueller, and Chandra Muller. “Scholars without Borders: The Graduate School Trajectories of International Students at a Major Research University.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Aug, 2011. Las Vegas, NV.